Friday, November 4, 2011

From Music to Muzak

There are songs that transport me back to when I was a long haired teenager who was so in love with a gorgeous girl. I would listen to this kind of music wondering how such an 'out my league' girl could ever be mine.... as you get older you learn to appreciate any girl despite her looks, and music like this helps you to regard women who love you with the same excitement of your youth. Lines like these:

"I know I could've saved a love that night
If I'd known what to say
Instead of makin' love
We both made our separate ways"...

they are enough to get me through my worst days.

I love reliving the best period of my life like this! And remember those days, when music used to be good, rockstars ruled the world, musicians didn’t care whether they looked contemplative, ‘auto-tune’ was a taboo and love was forever. And Europe, Whitesnake, Van Halen, Poison, Pink Floyd, Scorpion and Guns and Roses were the staple diet of the soul. But then the 80s and 90s ended, and to the horror of music lovers Rap and Hip-Hop and Justin Bieber and Britney Spears happened- they all looked the same, dressed the same, and sang the same rhythm-less, soulless, substance-less, machine-generated nonsense- and right in front of our eyes ( or perhaps ears) music became an endangered species.Muzak was born (sigh). The only reason that people still believe in music is because a rare few of the 80s Greats are still around... Scorpions, Aerosmith, Europe... they are the ones who have made the last two decades at least bearable. To think that I was born in 86, the year that saw such classics as Living on a Prayer, Final Countdown, Only Lonely, I’ll Cry for You and Every Rose has It’s Thorns! Astrology and horoscopes can wait in que... you don’t need them to tell I was destined to be who I am :-) . Boy, don’t I live in the wrong frigging times...

So, I had a rough day, and the sun went down like a bad dream. And now, here I am...listening to Poison... and my spirit lifts. You’ve got to listen to this to know what I’m talking about. No auto-tuning, no voice-syncing or studio enhancements... just pure vocals and sheer guitar magic... so slow, yet so hard... Old school Rock ! This one’s called Every Rose Has It’s Thorns... ( here's the link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c56vEgA4fjU )

We both lie silently still
in the dead of the night
Although we both lie close together
We feel miles apart inside

Was it something I said or something I did
Did my words not come out right
Though I tried not to hurt you
Though I tried
But I guess that's why they say

Every rose has its thorn
Just like every night has its dawn
Just like every cowboy sings his sad, sad song
Every rose has its thorn

Yeah it does

I listen to her favourite song
playing on the radio
Hear the DJ say love's a game of easy come and easy go
But I wonder does he know
Has he ever felt like this
And I know that you'd be here right now
If I could let you know somehow
I guess

Though it's been a while now
I can still feel so much pain
Like a knife that cuts you the wound heals
but the scar, that scar will remain

I know I could've saved a love that night
If I'd known what to say
Instead of makin' love
We both made our separate ways

and now I hear you found somebody new
and that I never meant that much to you
To hear that tears me up inside
And to see you cuts me like a knife
I guess

Or, if that does not do it for you (all the time), and like me you've got this insatiable urge to kiss the air, hug the winds, and just talk to the skies about your heart's deepest desires, you can always tune into Europe's classic soul rock I'll Cry For You ( link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoeYA4TmAcc&feature=related )

I'll Cry for You

I never dreamed that
I could fall
But something's come
Over me
Now I'm sittin' starin'
At the wall
Afraid for my sanity

The sound of your voice
The touch of your skin
It's hauntin' me
I'm still tryin' to come
To my senses
But I can't look back
So I'm takin' my chances

I wanna give you my heart
Give you my soul
I wanna lay in your arms
Never let go
Don't wanna live my
Life without you
But I know when you're gone
Like a fire needs a spark
Like a fool in the dark
I'll cry for you

Wonderin' why I'm
Runnin' scared
From what I belive in
I know that love
Is just another word
To say what I'm feelin'

For once in my life
The future is mine
It's callin' me
I've been searchin' so long
For an answer
But it's too late now
So I'm takin' my chances

As long as I can fall back on such melodies... I'll always find a way out, no matter how dark it gets. Thank God, for Rock.

No comments: